There are some who crave fruit, others who like to carve into a meaty steak, but me… I love carbs. Pastas, breads, and grains make me happy. I know this love affair will turn South (to my hips and butt) one fateful days in the future. But, for now… I bake.
Probably because the leaves are turning yellow and red and there is a chill in the mornings, but when I am home now I have an uncompromising urge to turn on the oven. Today, was just such a day. I stocked up with 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, 8 whole wheat buns, a double batch of banana pancakes (to save for the next few days), a huge pan of granola, granola bars, and I baked a frozen locally made apple pie to take to my Mom and Gram’s for dinner. And I cooked up some apple sauce on the stove.
After a friend that came over for some crafting brought over some sticky sweet and wonderful homemade granola bars I knew I had to try to copycat. So, this recipe is dedicated to Steph 🙂
- 2 C oats
- 1/2 C wheat bran
- 1/2 C chopped cashews
- 1/2 C chopped slivered (or just sliced) almonds
- 1/4 C unsweeted coconut
- 1/4 C dried blueberries
- 1/4 C dried cherries
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/2 C peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Cover a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, bran, nuts, cocount, and dried fruit in a large mixing bowl. Feel free to use what nuts or dried fruit you have on hand.
- In a small saucepan pour in the honey and peanut butter. Warm over low heat and stir until combined
- Add honey mixture to oat mixture. Mix well.
- Pour oat mixture into prepared parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and then cut into 16 squares.
- Share with friends while chatting and crafting.